Sunday, March 05, 2006

After a few hours camped out in front of the heater, I have finally defrosted from a very fun, but very cold weekend. On Friday our group went on an excursion to a local nursery school, where we got a chance to participate in the school’s own version of Maslenitsa. There, we played outside with 40 overly clothed little Russian children and sang and danced and traded candy for necklaces (I bartered for a few really good lookin ones that I’ll be sporting all over town). I’m not exactly sure the fine details of Maslenitsa, but with the children we held hands in a circle and chanted and did some dances and then a lady dressed up like a rag doll (I think this was spring) came into the circled and sang to us, and then a lady dressed like a bird of some sorts ran around frightening all the children and trying to take their noses (this, I’m assuming, is winter). And then there was fire, candy, and some more blini and a lot of playing in the snow. The children were just about the cutest things in the world, all looking like a rainbow assortment of marshmallows in their winter clothing. Amanda and I were planning on kidnapping one, but we couldn’t decide which one was the cutest, so we left with nothing. (We asked the head lady about children rentals, and she sadly said no). Then we went for lunch at a Chinese restaurant and I got my first meal not based primary on cabbage; it was heaven.
Saturday’s adventures took me cross-country skiing for the first time ever. I’ve wanted to go ever since I got here, but had been holding out for weather slightly warmer than –30, and this was the perfect day. It was still below freezing, but the sun was shining for a few hours and it was glorious. My skiing, however, was far from glorious. I went with Vlad, my host dad Nik, and Amanda (previously mentioned kidnapper). Russians aren’t much for explanations, so after we figured out how to put on our skis, Vlad said “See, see, Amy” and took off. So I may or may not have been doing it right (I’m leaning more towards doing it incorrectly and looking like a buffoon), but I had a great time. We skied in this big park on the edge of town that made you totally forget that you were anywhere near a city. The sun was shining through the trees and giving everything a brilliant glow. It felt like I was in a fairytale. And then I fell over because I wasn’t paying attention. Yeah, that’s pretty much how it went- awe and embarrassment. It was really cheap though (less than $2 for an hour) so hopefully I’ll make it back a few times and become a pro. Later in the day I went to the market with my host mother, which is one of my favorite things to do in Russia. The markets have absolutely everything, and most of it’s extremely cheap compared to the States. There were about 10 shops in a row entirely dedicated to selling sweets- it was glorious. The meat section is also very interesting, as Russians like to sell, and conversely eat, just about every part of the animal they kill. On display, to my great delight, were body parts such as tongues, entire legs (hooves included, of course) and animal heads. I’m so glad I’m a vegetarian in Russia.
Today, Sunday, Amanda and I rode with two friends of my family, a very nice and funny young couple named Roman and Tania, to Suzdal for the big Malsenitsa celebration. This experience was probably my favorite in Russia so far; it was just amazing. The town center had been blocked off, and there were people literally covering the streets, most with a jug of honey beer in hand. The streets had been decorated, and there were people wondering around on costumes of various sorts (probably representing seasons and other such pagan icons) and dancing and playing accordions on every street corner. This celebration seemed to embody the phrase “Eat, drink, and be merry” because that’s about all that was going on. Little blini stands were everywhere, and the alcohol was overflowing (which was good, considering the –8 temperature and a good burst of wind chill to make the welcoming of spring seem even more ridiculous). It so hard to explain, but it was just the most Russian experience I could ever imagine. I wanted to stay forever, but sadly, I preferred to save my toes and fingers (which had, at this time, been exposed to the cold air entirely too long) and had to go back to Vladimir. But it was a wonderfully Russian celebration and by far my favorite experience here.

can anyone find the car?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home